Plaque refers to a colorless and sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. Plaque develops because of improper oral hygiene. It is more conspicuous when you don’t brush your teeth. A plaque gives that fuzzy feeling when you rub your tongue with your teeth. If plaque builds up undeterred, you risk developing gum disease, which can lead to teeth decay. It is, therefore, paramount to find a way to reduce the plaque buildup. Fortunately, there are ways to go about this. Some of these ways to reduce plaque are simple and straightforward. Lovett Dental Piney Point Village has oral hygiene tips that you can use as a way to reduce plaque. Contact us today at 832.430.7364 to learn more.
Ways to Reduce Plaque
Plaque develops because of leaving food particles on the teeth. Food particles that are rich in sugars and starches act as good breeding grounds for bacteria. The bacteria feed on these leftovers, and they excrete acids. The acid can erode the enamel leading to tooth decay or gum diseases. Some of the ways to reduce plaque include:
- Brushing Your Teeth Regularly: This sounds like a cliché. But so many people do not adhere to this requirement. Dentists encourage people to brush their teeth at least twice a day. If it is possible, people should brush their teeth after every meal. Doing this will not leave any opportunity for plaque to accumulate. People should properly brush their teeth. Brushing is not just about rubbing the toothbrush’s fibers over the teeth. You need to pay attention to spaces where the gums and teeth meet. You also need to focus on inconspicuous areas.
- Flossing Regularly: Toothbrushes alone may not remove all the food particles between the teeth. Spaces like behind the molars and premolars are difficult to brush. Yet these are the places where food particles accumulate a lot. Flossing can help you access these sites. Dentists recommend that people floss at least once a day. Combining brushing and flossing can be a more effective way to reduce plaque.
- Going for Teeth Cleaning Services: Going for teeth cleaning services should be a routine if you’d like to minimize plaque accumulation. Plaque hardens into tartar if you leave it to accumulate for long. Removing tartar by yourself is quite difficult. A dentist, on the other hand, can remove this tartar. They do this with the help of a scaler and mirror. After scaling the plaque away, the dentist will polish your teeth for that beautiful look.
- Minding Your Diet: What you eat affects the health of your teeth. Minding your diet is an important way to reduce plaque buildup. You should eat food that promotes oral hygiene, such as foods rich in calcium and vitamin D. Avoid a diet rich in starch and sugar. Bacteria thrive on such food particles when they remain between your teeth.
- Using Dental Sealants: Sealants are thin plastic coatings that you apply to your teeth. The coating protects the enamel from erosion via the bacteria’s acids. Talk to a dentist to find out if dental sealants are appropriate for you.
Treatment at Lovett Dental Piney Point Village
The facility is focused on giving you the best ways to reduce plaque and achieve good oral hygiene. The following treatment services are available at Lovett Dental Piney Point Village:
- Fluoride treatment services: The treatment helps in fighting cavities and repairing early tooth decay. There are various options for receiving the treatment, from drinking fluoridated water to taking a fluoride supplement.
- Sedation and dental anxiety: This plan will help you overcome the fear of visiting a dentist. It can be helpful for dentophobia who are about to enroll for oral surgery.
- Dental implant services: Restore the beauty of your smile through this service. You’ll be able to replace missing teeth with dental implants.
- Emergency dental services: The module helps you deal with unforeseen circumstances. You’ll be able to access help for conditions such as toothache and teeth swelling.
Visit Us Today
Oral hygiene begins with you. You have an obligation to clean and maintain the health of your gums and teeth. However, if you have a tooth condition, seeking help is the best solution. Dentists have the knowledge to treat these conditions that you may lack. If you or a loved one needs help with removing plaque, call Lovett Dental Piney Point Village via 832.430.7364. We will help you with ways to reduce plaque.