According to the American Dental Association, there are about 200,419 dentists in the United States that work in dentistry. A Houston sedation dentist helps patients that suffer from chronic dental anxiety. The dentistry ensures the patients are asleep during the oral procedures except those under general anesthesia.
Sedation dentistry utilizes pharmacological agents to keep the patient calm during an entire dental procedure. It helps the patient reduce their fear and anxiety while in the appointment. Among the latest sedation techniques used by most dental facilities include nitrous oxide, IV sedation, and oral conscious sedation.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
For the past few years, people are embracing sedation dentistry. This is because it ensures the accomplishment of various procedures in just one visit to the dental facility. This reduces the anxiety and stress of the patient having to visit the dentist several times. Sedation dentistry also relaxes the central nervous system. It ensures the patient rests and remains still as the dentist carries out the procedure. You also get to be comfortable and rest throughout the oral procedure.
Types of Sedation Used in Dentistry
Some of the common types of sedation applied in dentistry include:
- Oral sedation: This type ranges from moderate and minimal depending on the dose given. Minimal sedation involves the patient taking a pill to make them drowsy but still awake. Moderate oral sedation ensures you sleep throughout the procedure.
- Inhaled minimal sedation: Here, you breathe nitrous oxide together with oxygen through a mask placed over your nose. The Houston sedation dentist controls the amount of gas you breathe in. this gas helps you relax. It wears off quickly and makes it possible for you to drive yourself home after the procedure.
- IV moderate sedation: This type works more quickly since one receives the sedative drug through a vein. The dentist can adjust the level of sedation given continually.
- General anesthesia and deep sedation: The dentist gives you medication to make you totally or almost unconscious. This means you are deep asleep throughout the procedure. Under deep sedation, it is hard for you to wake up unless the effects of the medication wear off. The dentist may also give you medication to reverse the effects of the anesthesia.
Oral, IV moderate, and inhaled minimal sedation ensure you are conscious as the oral procedure takes place. However, general aesthetic and deep sedation make you unconscious through the process.
Sedation Dentistry at Lovett Dental Piney Point Village
This dental facility has professional specialists that work to ensure they meet the needs of the patients. They provide various types of dentistry include pediatric, cosmetic, and general dentistry.
Some of the dental services provided at Lovett Dental include:
- Sedation and dental anxiety: The dental specialists at the facility make your visit stress-free and comfortable. You do not have to worry about being too nervous to receive oral health services.
- Emergency dental services: The dental facility provides steps for the patients to follow in case they need emergency dental services. These help to control the oral health problem before you reach the facility.
- Dental bonding: This helps you overcome various oral problems caused by accidents, injuries, aging, or dental hygiene. Dental bonding provides quicker results compared to other forms of treatment.
- Teeth whitening: The dentist brightens your teeth using a safe procedure. In-office teeth whitening available at Lovett Dental Piney Point Village is among the safest methods of brightening your teeth.
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride works to reverse the damage caused by cavities.
Stay Relaxed While Undergoing Oral Procedures
You no longer have to worry about being too nervous at the dentist’s office. Get safe treatment from a Houston sedation dentist at Lovett Dental Piney Point Village. Reach out to us today via 832.430.7364 and get the perfect smile.