There is an easy process to cleaning teeth with braces outlined in the simple guide below. Brushing your teeth twice a day after each meal will help remove loose food from under brackets and wires and ensure dental hygiene is maintained.
How to Clean Your Teeth with Braces
When you are cleaning teeth with braces, it is important to invest in a soft-bristle toothbrush or electric toothbrush, ensuring that each movement is gentle and lasts for at least two minutes. Invest in a new toothbrush every three months or sooner if the brackets make bristles wear down faster than usual. Make sure you brush around all parts of the teeth, including the fronts, sides, backs, and chewing surfaces. Using a toothbrush with rounded bristles works well for cleaning teeth with braces, and fluoride toothpaste is always best as it helps prevent tooth decay.
Tips for Cleaning Teeth with Braces
Learning the correct method of cleaning teeth with braces now will save you time and energy in the future. Some tips include:
- Before any brushing starts, rinse your mouth with water to help loosen any food lodged around your dental braces.
- Then begin brushing, angling it at the gum line at a 45-degree angle.
- Ensure the toothbrush is above the brackets, pointing the brush down on top of each bracket.
- Re-shift to carefully brush the bottom of the bracket and the wire, angling the toothbrush up.
- Each tooth needs to be cleaned above the gum line and below the brackets to help remove plaque and food debris.
- When you have finished using your regular brush, consider using a proxabrush to help clean your teeth more effectively between individual brackets. Work on two teeth simultaneously with the proxabrush by inserting the appliance from the top of the wire and repeat the same motion on the bottom set of teeth.
Floss to Help Clean Your Teeth with Braces
During the process of cleaning teeth with braces, flossing can help remove lingering debris. You can follow these easy steps by taking eighteen inches of floss from the packaging, wrap it around your middle fingers, and grasp the rest between your thumbs and forefingers. Then, slowly insert the floss between the top of your tooth and your bracket’s main archwire. Use a sawing motion for the most effective results. Lovett Dental Piney Point provides a range of orthodontic services, and they will be able to answer any queries about a specific type of floss you should use.
Use Antiseptic Mouth Rinse to Help Clean Your Teeth with Braces
Once you have brushed and flossed your teeth thoroughly, use an antiseptic mouth rinse, and swirl the liquid around your mouth. A study has shown that using mouthwash may decrease plaque, which can be a problem for people with braces.
Visit Your Lovett Dental Piney Point Orthodontist Regularly
Book an appointment to visit your orthodontist and find out about the variety of specialty dental services at Lovett Dental Piney Point. Attending regular check-ups are essential to maintaining good oral hygiene. It is recommended by orthodontists that customers visit twice a year for frequent cleanings. To care for cleaning teeth with braces, dental specialists use advanced technology to ensure the highest level of care with customers. The modern practice offers braces for those who may have crooked teeth or a jaw that is not developing correctly. The metal and ceramic braces help straighten teeth and correct any issues with the bite. There are also various options to minimize the visual impact of braces and make them more comfortable.
Learn More About Keeping Your Braces Clean with Lovett Dental Piney Point
Contact Lovett Dental Piney Point online by completing our secure and convenient form or by calling us at 832.430.7364 to learn more about our range of orthodontic services and how we can correct your bite with braces.